[LMB] Ivan's Aunties

Agnes Charrel-Berthillier agnes at charrel.net
Thu May 17 07:31:13 BST 2012

On 5/16/12 8:38 AM, Elizabeth Holden wrote:
> On Feb 26, 2012, at 12:17 PM, t_neill t_neill wrote:
>

>> Ivan confuses me.  Or rather, his title does.
<snip>
> Ivan isn't any Count's Heir, so
>> why Lord Vorpatril?
>
> Perhaps someone's heir died, and Ivan became his heir?  Is this a
> clue?  Or perhaps Gregor made him Lord Vorpatril by fiat.  Or is he
> lying to non-Barrayarans for a practical purpose - like Miles
> becoming Admiral Naismith?

 From the LMB Mailing List Plot FAQ
(http://www.dendarii.com/bujold_faq.html#counts)

13. Are all the Lord Vorwhatsisnames directly related to a Count
Vorwhatsisname? How closely related is Ivan to Count Vorpatril?

LMB) In addition to the usual Count Vorlastname - Lord Vorlastname -
Lord Vorfirstname sequencing for a Count and his immediate heirs, there
are a slew of Lord Vorlastnames running around who hold their titles by
virtue of being clan heads or for other, idiosyncratic historical
reasons. Padma's father (and hence Padma and Ivan) may well have
acquired this honor by virtue of marriage to Prince Xav's younger
half-Betan princess daughter, or for some prior historical reason.

There is a senior Vorpatril line, and a Count Vorpatril (see ACC) -- I
feel, in retrospect, that the Vorpatril liveried retainers we saw at the
beginning of The Warrior's Apprentice must have been a courtesy loan
from the Count to Alys. There are bunches and bunches of other
Vorpatrils in line ahead of Ivan for that Countship; it is in the
highest degree unlikely that he'll inherit it at any time, let alone
soon. (MilesToGo forum on Baen's Bar, 15 July 1999)