[LMB] Poison Ivy vs Nasty Creatures

Jacki Knight jacki at knightech.com.au
Sat May 19 04:46:11 BST 2012

On 19/05/2012, at 10:41 AM, Timothy Collett wrote:
> Not careful about poisonous Australian snakes and spiders - death.
> Not careful about poison ivy - aggravating rash for a few days.
>
> I know which *I'd* choose ;-D

But several people were commenting on being allergic - to my mind that
means anaphylactic shock and death unless you carry the appropriate
epipen or whatever - not complaining of maybe getting a rash.

That's a lot worse than a nasty bite from something which only
_might_  kill you if you're very small.

Some stats for you:

"Human Deaths in Australia Between 1980-1990, Inclusive (from Stevens
& Paxton, 1992)
Cause of Death						Total Deaths				Average per year
Crocodile Attacks							8						0.7
Shark Attacks							11						1.0
Lightning Strikes							19						1.7
Bee Stings								20						1.8
Scuba Diving Accidents					88						8.0
Drownings/Submersions					3,367					306
Motor Vehicle Accidents					32,772					2,979

No deaths by Spider bites?
In Australia, only male Sydney Funnel Web Spiders and Redback Spiders
(* that's Black Widow Spider to the USians and yes, you have them too)
have caused human deaths, but none have occurred since anti venoms
were made available in 1981. Each year in Australia as many as 4,000
people are bitten. Of these 200 require anti venom treatment and one
bite was fatal.

No deaths from Snake bites?
Less than eight presumably. You should also bear in mind that some of
the snake attacks would be of people who handle snakes, keep them as
pets or other wise live in close proximity to the beasties. In the
extremely unlikely event you are bitten or witness someone else being
bitten, do not try to attack the snake as it moves faster than you do
and will probably have another go. More people die worrying about
snakes (‘I think I saw a snake’, heartattack –thud) than actually get
bitten by them - just a thought."

full link here:

http://www.sydney100.com/snakes-spiders-sharks.htm

And then there are these stats for the US:

Average Number of Deaths per Year in the U.S

Bee/Wasp		53
Dogs			31
Spider			6.5
Rattlesnake		5.5
Mountain lion	1
Shark			1
Alligator			0.3
Bear			0.5
Scorpion		0.5
Centipede		0.5
Elephant		0.25
Wolf			0.1
Horse			20
Bull				3

Link here:
http://historylist.wordpress.com/2008/05/29/human-deaths-in-the-us-caused-by-animals/

So in fact you're more likely to be killed by a spider in the US than
in Australia! You _sure_ you don't want to take precautions while out
hiking?

Jacki in Canberra - actually a bit surprised