[LMB] Poison Ivy vs Nasty Creatures

Meg Justus mmegaera at nwlink.com
Sat May 19 17:32:11 BST 2012

Jacki:
But several people were commenting on being allergic - to my mind that
means anaphylactic shock and death unless you carry the appropriate
epipen or whatever - not complaining of maybe getting a rash.

-

Okay.  To me, anaphylactic shock and death are a subset of allergic.
Allergic to me can mean anything from causes a rash on up.  For instance,
I'm also allergic (that's what the doctor called it) to sulfa drugs, which
cause an irritating rash on my *feet*, of all places, but no other symptoms.

I get a pretty bad rash from regular ivy (and from poison ivy and poison
oak).  No, it's not going to kill me.  But it's a good reason to go out of
my way to avoid the stuff, too.

Megaera