[LMB] Poison Ivy

Timothy Collett tcollett at topazgryphon.org
Sat May 19 21:25:20 BST 2012

On May 18, 2012, at 3:24 PM, quietann wrote:

> There are people who are highly allergic to poison ivy (or poison oak,
> the west coast variant), and some who are not allergic at all.  My
> mother was one of the highly allergic and was actually hospitalized
> the first time she had a really bad case.  She was obsessively careful
> about avoiding poison oak after that.  The allergy got worse as she
> got older, and she was told that if there ever was a big wildfire in
> San Diego, she might have to leave town ASAP to keep the oil from
> getting into her lungs.  She died before there was ever a big fire,
> though.
>
> At the other end of the scale, when my husband and I were getting
> ready for our at-home, outdoor wedding, a friend of mine who is not
> allergic cleared huge amounts of poison ivy from around the yard, with
> no protection at all.

Apparently I am immune to poison oak (and thus probably poison ivy as well), but my wife is not. At least, this is the best way we have ever come up with to explain the rash that showed up on her legs once, in odd streaks: we figure that one of the neighbourhood cats, who would come to our back door and whom I would pet, had gotten herself in some poison oak, I had petted her, and I had subsequently rubbed some knots out of her legs with the oil still on my hands.

I have not, however, ever tempted fate by attempting to test my supposed immunity.

Timothy Collett

--

Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.