[LMB] Poison Ivy

Mark Allums mark at allums.com
Sat May 19 21:29:00 BST 2012

On 5/18/2012 2:12 PM, Peter Granzeau wrote:
> My father once showed an arrangement of poison ivy at a flower show.
> A physician, he had a human skull in a glass bell, with the poison ivy
> draped through the eye sockets
> I am not allergic at all, I have even squatted and peed in a patch of it
> and had no ill effects at all. Poor Rob on the other hand can look at a
> picture of it and come down with a case ... =) Or at least that is what
> it seems like.

The discussion of poison ivy here puzzles me a bit.  Doesn't everyone
know that poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac are members of the
cashew family?  No one is immune to it, rather there are varying degrees
of sensitivity.  Some are truly allergic, and always require medical
attention, while some, like myself, must go to great lengths to be
affected.  Yet no one can handle it freely with impunity.

I can remove a three-inch thick spreading vine from an infested tree
with nothing more that a pair of work gloves, while my mother only has
to glance in it's general direction to develop running sores.

I think the roots of the Malices concepts might be drawn from the
Biblical story where Adam and Eve were expelled from the Garden of Eden:

Genesis 3---New International Version (NIV)

The Fall

	1 Now the serpent was more crafty than any of the wild animals the Lord
God had made. He said to the woman, “Did God really say, ‘You must not
eat from any tree in the garden’? ”
	2 The woman said to the serpent, “We may eat fruit from the trees in
the garden, 3 but God did say, ‘You must not eat fruit from the tree
that is in the middle of the garden, and you must not touch it, or you
will die.’”
	4 “You will not certainly die,” the serpent said to the woman. 5 “For
God knows that when you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you
will be like God, knowing good and evil.”
	6 When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and
pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took
some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her,
and he ate it. 7 Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they
realized they were naked; so they sewed fig leaves together and made
coverings for themselves.
	8 Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the Lord God as he was
walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the Lord
God among the trees of the garden. 9 But the Lord God called to the man,
“Where are you?”
	10 He answered, “I heard you in the garden, and I was afraid because I
was naked; so I hid.”
	11 And he said, “Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from
the tree that I commanded you not to eat from? ”
	12 The man said, “The woman you put here with me —she gave me some
fruit from the tree, and I ate it.”
	13 Then the Lord God said to the woman, “What is this you have done?”
	The woman said, “The serpent deceived me, and I ate.”
	14 So the Lord God said to the serpent, “Because you have done this,
	“Cursed are you above all livestock
	    and all wild animals!
	You will crawl on your belly
	    and you will eat dust
	    all the days of your life.
	15 And I will put enmity
	    between you and the woman,
	    and between your offspring[a] and hers;
	he will crush[b] your head,
	    and you will strike his heel.”

	16 To the woman he said,

	“I will make your pains in childbearing very severe;
	    with painful labor you will give birth to children.
	Your desire will be for your husband,
	    and he will rule over you. ”

	17 To Adam he said, “Because you listened to your wife and ate fruit
from the tree about which I commanded you, ‘You must not eat from it,’
	“Cursed is the ground because of you;
	    through painful toil you will eat food from it
	    all the days of your life.
	18 It will produce thorns and thistles for you,
	    and you will eat the plants of the field.
	19 By the sweat of your brow
	    you will eat your food
	until you return to the ground,
	    since from it you were taken;