[LMB] Linkages

Aruvqan aruvqan at gmail.com
Mon May 21 12:01:36 BST 2012

On 5/20/2012 9:48 AM, Jim Parish wrote:
> Being temporarily out of new F/SF to read, I've begun dipping into a
> collection of short stories by Dashiell Hammett. The first story,
> "Arson Plus", was written in the early '20s. Towards the end, the
> narrator is explaining his reasoning to the police; he notes that one
> of the suspects was "born in San Francisco - where the fire destroyed
> all the old records". My immediate thought was "Aha! Frost IV!".
>
> (Well, actually, it was "Aha! Frost IX!". Malfunctioning chip, I'm sure.)
I remember those stories, I need to have Rob dig our copy out of the
barn and give them a reread [and scan!]

Rob's grandmother lived through the earthquake and fire. She was very
acerb about the founder of Bank of America and his rather shady business
practices with financing parts of the rebuilding, and we have the little
revolver she used to defend their house on Tollhouse from looters.

I have no doubt that Haiti is being used to generate [*ahem*] creative
identification now ...