[LMB] forms of address, was Ivan's Aunties

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Wed May 23 00:44:34 BST 2012

On 21 May 2012, at 01:45, Howard Brazee wrote:
> My mother referred to her mother-in-law either "Mother B" or "Mother Brazee".    I don't remember though how she actually addressed her.

Don't recall how either of my parents addressed their in-law! Very few visits, our family, due to distance of employment locations. Both our mothers told their respective in-law to use her first name.

> My wife refers to my mother as "grandma", which leads to some confusion as her mom lives in the same retirement home.   And we have our own grandchildren.

A husband-neighbor in San Diego always called his *wife* "Mother", with no such reciprocation on her part. Struck me as weird then and now.

A. Marina Fournier
SaffronRose at me.com
Even as a youngster, though, I could not bring myself to believe that if knowledge presented danger, the solution was ignorance. To me, it always seemed that the solution had to be wisdom. You did not refuse to look at danger, rather you learned how to handle it safely.

Isaac Asimov (1920-1992) Russian-American writer The Caves of Steel, Introduction (novel 1954, intro 1983)