[LMB] Life without Malice

Katherine Collett kcollett at hamilton.edu
Thu May 24 20:04:32 BST 2012

On May 24, 2012, at 8:43 AM, Howard Brazee wrote:

> I wonder what would happen if Malices just stopped existing.
>
> Maybe the absent gods would return.

That would be cool.  Or at least interesting.

> After searching locally, Lakewalkers might become world explorers.   (Could Malices exist in ocean trenches?)

I thought the text-evidence is pretty clear that Malices don't live underwater.  I seem to remember discussions to that effect.

> Without an obvious enemy, Lakewalkers might have a hard time keeping themselves from becoming the enemy.

Is Dag's revulsion against acting in any way lord-like just Dag, or is that a general Lakewalker reaction?

> How would they fit themselves into the future world - or fit the future world into themselves?

I'm reminded a little of the dragonriders of Pern, post-Thread.  But aren't we already seeing the future world by the end of Horizon?  Dag and Arkady are not spending their lives in the single-minded pursuit of malices any more (well, groundsetters didn't really anyway).  But where the Dragonriders were claiming land so as to be able to support themselves separately (IIRC--it's been a while since I read those later books), the Lakewalkers seem to be moving in the opposite direction, towards much more communication and integration with the Farmers.  And it's not just Dag and Arkady; the southern camps were much more involved with the local farmer communities.  And cracking beguilement will have made that integrated, cooperative future much, much easier to achieve.

Katherine