[LMB] Dag meaning

BlueRose stacey at xtra.co.nz
Sun May 27 05:04:29 BST 2012

On 27/05/2012 1:58 p.m., Laura Gallagher wrote:
> My husband Karl was telling me how he'd gone ahead and bought
> Beguilement for his Kindle app on his phone when it was on sale.  He'd
> been reading it this weekend, and from accidentally tapping on the
> name, had found out that "Dag" is an Australian/New Zealand informal
> word for an unfashionable or socially conservative person.
>
> Heh.  Unfashionable, surely, but socially conservative? Hardly!
>
> Laura Gallagher

Dags are the woolly trousers on sheep that get covered in sh*t and have
to be trimmed off to keep the fleece clean in a process thats called
crutching.  If left it can have health implications for the sheep that
can get quite serious. That is the context for the following:

rattle your dags - means hurry up! (usually said by husbands to wives
while out shopping LOL)
bit of a dag or a bit daggy - meaing a bit naff or silly (ie if I was
painting or gardening I would wear my daggy clothes)
bit of a dag - can also mean someone who thinks they are funny

And if anyone wants to see dags then

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_W19ZkFqGT-M/SX0L9cYwxSI/AAAAAAAAA6M/UjC8cWOLkQQ/s400/Shearers+hate+dags.jpg

Immortalised by famous Kiwi comedian Fred Dag - my favourite of his
songs - "If it weren't for your gumboots"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rqZfTJN7d8&feature=related  (complete
with lyrics)

Stacey