[LMB] Dag meaning

Stacey Hill stacey at xtra.co.nz
Mon May 28 04:08:37 BST 2012

________________________________
 From: Carol Cooper <carolcooper at shaw.ca>

BlueRose wrote

*snip*
> And if anyone wants to see dags then
>
> http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_W19ZkFqGT-
> M/SX0L9cYwxSI/AAAAAAAAA6M/UjC8cWOLkQQ/s400/Shearers+hate+dags.jpg

That's the usage of 'dag' with which I'm most familiar - but oh my goodness,
that picture!  Do NZ sheep suffer badly with diarrhoea?  I've seen a lot of
sheep in my time (Welsh here - forget all the jokes, I've heard 'em all.....)
and I've never seen a bum in that bad a state.  That, of course, is why
sheeps' tails are usually docked it helps a bit.

Carol

Thats a not uncommon sight, it can get worse, and if they get fly blown then it gets even worse :(

I think once they start to get daggy then just gets worse and and worse until they are removed.  There are some horrific pictures where they actually cut the skin to form scar tissue so the wool doesnt grow at all in merino sheep.    Type 'crutching sheep' into google images.

Shrek is our most famous sheep of late, a merino that evaded mustering and had 6 years of growth on him

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrek_%28sheep%29

http://lofiland.com/omg/misc/shrek/shreksheep.jpg

http://www.teara.govt.nz/files/p16641odt.jpg

And what he looked like after being shorn  http://www.odt.co.nz/files/story/2010/11/shrek_rests_among_his_8kg_fleece_after_being_shorn_4cdd25cce0.JPG