[LMB] forms of address, was Ivan's Aunties, now OT:

Harimad harimad2001 at yahoo.com
Tue May 29 20:14:18 BST 2012

TCV> On Fri, 5/25/12, Thomas C Vinson <t.vinson at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
TCV> I've heard it frequently when there are children of the
TCV> couple present.* In fact, I use "Mom" fairly often myself
TCV> when talking to my (grown) kids about their mother/my wife.

When talking to me, my mother always refers to my father (to whom she is still married) as "Dad" or "Daddy."  It was confusing when her father was still alive but, sadly, those days are long gone.

When talking to me, my father generally refers to my mother as "your mother" or occasionally by first name.

I usually call my father by his first name[1]; I usually call my mother first "mom" then, when she inevitably doesn't notice, by her first name - which she doesn't like but really, I did try.

When talking with my children I generally call their elders whatever they call them: Dad, Pop-pop, etc.  Occasionally I say "your Uncle Dan" instead.

My kids call adults Mr. or Ms FirstName, unless the person in question instructs otherwise.

- Harimad

[1] We once worked together, so first names were appropriate.