[LMB] GJ&RQ review

Pamela Weber pp.weber at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 20:56:50 GMT 2015

On 2 November 2015 at 14:16, Matthew George <matt.msg at gmail.com> wrote:

> This must be very frustrating for the people waiting for the actual book to
> be released.

No more waiting.

I just bought Gentleman Jole ebook from Baen's website
<http://www.baenebooks.com/>, an hour ago. Very confused about the February
2016 release date but not about to look a not-quite-gift-horse (15 bucks)
in the mouth.

Is e-book not considered an "actual book"? Did Baen mess up the release
date for the ebook? If they did, I will NOT give back my copy. Yet. Until
I'm done reading. Which I will be in... let's say three hours at the rate
I'm reading :D

In any case, the first four chapters are available at that same website to
wet your appetite.

Spoiler alert

Spoiler alert

Spoiler alert

Spoiler alert

Spoiler alert

Spoiler alert

Spoiler alert

Spoiler alert

Spoiler alert

Spoiler alert

Spoiler alert

At chapter 5 of 17. So far: lots of Cordelia. Lovely down-to-earth Cordelia
and her common-sense approach to life and human ((stupidity)) nature, even
though thus far there have been no significant Barrayaran! screw-ups to
fume/laugh about. Oliver Jole, as coprotagonist, is relatively tame. Nice,
but not very complex. So far. In comparison. (okay, the bar for
"interesting" is pretty high in the Vorkosigan Universe, so, no complaining
yet. He still has 11 chapters to convince me that he's more than just a
pretty face, pleasing nature, and good lay.)

Missing Aral like crazy, all the more for all the flashbacks... That's ME
missing Aral, never mind that obviously everyone in the book is missing
him, too. Strange how a (fictional! I keep reminding myself) character can
leave such a huge hole in the (Fictional! Fictional!) universe... Very
convincingly portrayed bereftness without depression. Aral is very much the
third co-protagonist, not a minor player. I don't know if people who
haven't read the series would see it this way.

And then, Sergyar, the fourth protagonist. Reading descriptions of Sergyar
feels like coming home full circle back to  Cordelia's Honor. Constant
reminders of how much time has passed, over four decades, and how much the
planet has changed and is changing, at an ever-increasing rate, and yet so
early in its development it feels like it's going to take a century or
three to really start being a planet in its own right and not just a
Barrayaran outpost with a few galactics on a sleep-over for variety.

Thank you so much Lois for the news from the worlds you gifted us, I'm now
going back to read on and see what you'll drop on these poor bas... people
to make their life miserable and our reading experience enjoyable :D. This
book is like reading a long letter with news about dear and far away family
members, but without the anguish when you read something that makes you go
"ouch".

And of course, a very happy birthday to my favourite author.