[LMB] Betan control of pregnancy

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Fri Nov 6 17:05:01 GMT 2015

On 11/06/2015 09:56 AM, Elizabeth Stowe wrote:
> I've been rereading a bunch of the Vorkosigan books, and something confuses me. How is male fertility controlled on Beta Colony? I had the idea that all guys have their tubes cut (Cordelia made a reference). I assume that means a reverse vasectomy is performed when a pregnancy is okayed.
>
> So have both Miles and Mark had vasectomies? They both lived on Beta Colony for awhile.

But they are not Beta citizens. I expect Beta has different rules for
visitors because requiring surgery to visit seems excessive.

They might range from getting a promise. (I won't have sex or if I do I
will use drugs/protections/etc) to having a temporary drug/hormone
implant put in.

Although with every Beta citizen having mandatory reversible
sterilization, there shouldn't be any risk from galactic visitors
increasing the population.

Perhaps long term non-citizen residents are required to take the same
steps as Beta citizens.