[LMB] Betan control of pregnancy

Brad Jones brad at kazrak.com
Sat Nov 7 20:08:47 GMT 2015

On Sat, Nov 7, 2015 at 6:07 AM Damien Sullivan <phoenix at mindstalk.net>
wrote:

> And females are the limiting factor in sexual reproduction.  if you miss
> sterilizing one male, he can potentially impregnate a lot of females in
> the population, especially if the population tends to have many sexual
> partners because they think everyone's safe and sterile.  If you miss
> sterilizing a female, there's only so much "damage" she can do to the
> population control goal.
>
> So if your goal is population control, it entirely makes sense to go
> after all the wombs, after which it might be judged not cost effective
> to go after the penises too, especially if the author was first writing
> when reversible long term male birth control didn't even exist.

I've always had the feeling that the Betans went with both male and female
implants, from her comment on the biological padlock on _everyone_'s
gonads, and a general sense that Betan equality would mandate implants for
all just so it wasn't considered discriminatory.

In addition, Cordelia's comments about how rare accidental pregnancies are
would imply either superhumanly-low failure rates for their implants or
defense in depth. Even five-nines effectiveness (99.999% effective, about
20 times better than the best we have now) would have hundreds of
accidental pregnancies per year. Add in a male-contraceptive implant, and
that cuts your chances down dramatically, and much more effectively than
trying to further improve the female implant.