[LMB] Also Gregor: childhood friendships

Lois McMaster Bujold lbujold at myinfmail.com
Mon Nov 9 21:42:23 GMT 2015

[LMB] Also Gregor: childhood friendships
Pamela Weber pp.weber at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 21:08:11 GMT 2015

PW:  I've always wondered about how very isolated and solitary Gregor's
life was
up to his twenties.

LMB:  A lot less solitary than you are evidently picturing.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, especially in a novel,
which must have a constrained scope and tight focus (or otherwise it
would be an encyclopedia.  And so, by the way, are encyclopedias.
Wikipedia less so.)

Henri Vorvolk gets mentioned in passing; we may assume there are others,
not named.  Gregor's intimates are not many, to be sure, but the rest of
them you will have to make up for yourselves, I'm afraid.  On the whole,
for all that he gets run through many mass public occasions, his
favorite social events are small, intimate dinner parties or the like
with a selection of bright lights that he can induce to talk to each
other, while he listens.

The child-Gregor is a blank slate open for speculation, I suppose.
(Though I expect the child-Gregor would also much have preferred small
groups to large ones.)  But the Imperial Residence would certainly not
be _less_ lively and busy a venue than Vorkosigan House, if with tighter
security.  Especially in the first 5 - 6 years when the Lord Regent and
his traveling circus were in, er, residence.

Ta, L.