[LMB] Also Gregor: childhood friendships

Walter S Bushell proto at panix.com
Tue Nov 10 00:10:36 GMT 2015

> On Nov 9, 2015, at 18:52, Pat Mathews <mathews55 at msn.com> wrote:
>

>> From: proto at panix.com
>> Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2015 18:49:15 -0500
>> To: lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk
>> Subject: Re: [LMB] Also Gregor: childhood friendships

<SNIP> much interesting material including that from Herself.

>> No doubt he had ImpSec vetted playmates. But they all knew he was Emperor. Can’t really
>> pretend he is “one of the guys” after a certain point. Your hands are between his, as it
>> were.
>
> Unless it's Miles. To whom "Emperor" means "Big play toy!”

text evidence — Emperor == someone to play hide and seek with

As Miles contemplates meeting the Cetaganda's Emperor,
Emperor Gregor had been raised along with Miles practically as his foster-brother; somewhere in the back of Miles’s mind the term emperor was coupled with such identifiers as somebody to play hide-and-seek with. In this context those hidden assumptions could be a psychosocial land mine. Eight planets, and older than my father, Miles reminded himself, trying to inculcate a proper deference to the illusion of power Imperial panoply sought to create.

Miles still has his mother’s {insights, beliefs} about social systems.