[LMB] OT: One for the language geeks

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 16 12:52:07 GMT 2015

> From: Beatrice Otter beatrice_otter at haugensgalleri.com

> Sylvia wrote:
> I thought 'sesqu' means '7' so they'd meet? every 7 months? no, longer than that.

Beatrice Otter:"Sesqui" means 1.5--it's also the root of sesquipedalianism, a charming word I have been searching most of my life for a reason to use. ? (It means using unnecessarily long and complicated words.)

I remember a country town celebrating their sesquicentenary.
(When you live in a country town you celebrate whatever you
can.) I've never heard 'sesqui-' anywhere else until now.

Gwynne