[LMB] OT: Baen ebook encoding...

M R L Dolbear m.dolbear at lineone.net
Tue Nov 17 00:10:28 GMT 2015

From: Harvey Fishman
Sent: Monday, November 16, 2015 10:49 PM

> Baen has some wierd algorithms for their ebook encoding. I just downloaded
the seven books in the December 2015 bundle and the file sizes are crazy.
I download .mobi, .epub, and .lrf because of varied readers that I have.
The total sizes for the seven files are

     .mobi       11,923,456
     .epub    4,599,808
     .lrf    5,435,392

> Obviously their encoding algorithm for .mobi is REALLY inefficient.

All .ePubs are zipped as defined, .mobi isn't

If you download the zipped version you will see the result with some .mobis
about twice the size. and some equal.

This has been going on for some years now.

At a guess the difference is the cover art or the result of the .mobi
variant tagged as 'Both' which contains two different formats in one
container.

If this bothers you you can convert the ePub to .mobi with Calibre in any
way you wish.

Little Egret by email (Windows Live Mail)
Michael Dolbear in Walton-on-Thames