[LMB] OT: Free ebook sponsored by Microsoft

Katrina Knight kknight at fastmail.fm
Thu Nov 19 17:59:32 GMT 2015

At 07:06 AM 11/19/2015, Aruvqan wrote:

>On 11/18/2015 11:11 PM, Fred Smith wrote:
>>
>>right now I'm stuck because the newest executable doesn't work
>>on
>>Wine (Windows API layer for Linux), while the previous one I
>>had did.
>>unfortunately I don't have the installer for the older one on
>>disk
>>anymore. :(
>As much as I dislike piracy, The Pirate Bay can be an excellent
>place to get ISOs for previous versions of programs. And once
>you get the program you prefer, please burn that puppy to disc
>or make an install thumb drive!

ISO is the wrong format to be looking for here. All that's
needed is a simple install file, not an image of an install CD
or DVD.

Using pirate sites to download software is just asking for
trouble. There are a number of more legitimate sites where one
can look for older versions of free software. Oldversion.com and
filehippo.com are two of them. Both appear to have a number of
older versions of the Kindle for PC installer. Be careful to
only download what you're looking for. Many software
repositories like to offer up all sorts of less desirable stuff
along with the files you want.

--
Katrina Knight
kknight at fastmail.fm