[LMB] Nexus Phone from here?

Damien Sullivan phoenix at mindstalk.net
Tue Nov 24 15:25:39 GMT 2015

On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 05:19:41PM +0200, Caroline Tabach wrote:
> I was just wondering, whether the people who named the Nexus phone, took
> the name from this series.
>
> What do you think?

I see no reason to think so.  And wikipedia says

"Upon the announcement of the first Nexus device, the Nexus One, the
estate of science fiction author Philip K. Dick claimed that the Nexus
One name capitalized on intellectual property from Dick's 1968 novel Do
Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and that the choice of name was a
direct reference to the Nexus-6 series of androids in the novel.[22]"

> (There is an application i encountered at work, which is about fixing time,
> at part of it is called Tardis, with a picture of a blue box from the Dr
> Who series, so it could be possible)

TARDIS is a unique word, that comes *only* from Doctor Who, so the
reference is obvious.  Nexus is a common English word.  Not *super*
common but hardly exotic.

-xx- Damien X-)