[LMB] flimsys? added stout and gun

Walter S Bushell proto at panix.com
Wed Nov 25 13:13:01 GMT 2015

> On Nov 24, 2015, at 18:24, M R L Dolbear <m.dolbear at lineone.net> wrote:
>
> Barrayar, ch 11. Major Amor Klyeuvi (Kly the post).

Kly the mail, IIRC. Maybe a different translation? The Barrayar Vor
apparently speak a language close to American Standard English, because
of the wordplay.

For example Tej when she and Rish are hiding in Ivan’s rented Komarran
pad, observes that beer instead to the good wine, would have gone
with the rat bar “more stoutly”. As invertebrate[1] punster I should
have picked that one up on first read.

I just reread Ivan’s Alliance. I just twigged to the fact that Ivan Xav’s
stunner was mentioned in Chapter I.[2] Personally coded hand grip, I should
have been on alert for a reappearance of same. Even after Ivan explained
before the descent into the treasure room, I needed to be told again after
Ivan charged the hired meat. By now this is anachronistic as we have those
today and I can’t believe that Barrayar is that far behind for military
equipment 20 years into Gregor’s rein[1]. (Do they count from Ezar’s death,
or when the regency ended. I would think from his becoming Emperor de jure,
rather than de facto.)

On the other hand, there is as far as I know no further mention of Ivan’s
calling cards.

[1] sick
[2] Chekhov's gun — an item to check off.