[LMB] flimsys? added stout and gun

Walter S Bushell proto at panix.com
Wed Nov 25 22:45:46 GMT 2015

> On Nov 25, 2015, at 08:49, Karen Hunt <huntkc at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> In general, you're supposed to imagine that somebody has performed a truly
> superb translation from future-speak into modern "whatever the author's
> language is”.

Beyond my imaginative capabilities. I can deal with violations of the laws
of physics, but I’m just too familiar with the problems of translations.

Barrayar looks too much like 1950 -> 1990 America in social feel, anyway.
In the latter books we don’t hear about the minority problems, maybe they
are somewhat subsided or they just don’t figure in the plots.

Being non Vor seems lateterly to be not always a disadvantage, one is not
under pressure to join the military, for example. Proles can become rich,
so I suppose they laws and courts respect their property rites. And only
the Counts make policy, except for the Ministers under the eye of the
Emperor.

Vilhjalmur Stefansson (1879 - 1962), "Discovery", 1964