[LMB] flimsys? added stout and gun

Karen Hunt huntkc at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 23:37:57 GMT 2015

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 6:00 PM, Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>
wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 05:45:46PM -0500, Walter S Bushell wrote:
> >
> > > On Nov 25, 2015, at 08:49, Karen Hunt <huntkc at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > In general, you're supposed to imagine that somebody has performed a
> truly
> > > superb translation from future-speak into modern "whatever the author's
> > > language is”.
>
> there is  mention in, er, I thinkits Barrayar, of Cordelia sitting in
> the library at Vorkosigan House,  struggling thru an old book in which
> English is written phonetically in Cyrillic.
>
> As best I can recall it explicitly says English.

Oh, yes, the langua-franca as far as there is one in the Nexus is English.

The issue is that these people are using very nice idiomatic today-English
1000 years from now. Which seems tricky.

But I've not much enjoyed books where the author thinks I need to be taught
weird ways of speaking my language just to convey that things have changed
over time. I rather appreciate the use of good modern English, even if it's
not likely to match what would be spoken long in the future.

[snippage]

Karen Hunt