[LMB] OT: What I did on my holidays, was: has happened to the List?

M. Haller Yamada thefabmadamem at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 7 01:52:04 GMT 2016

For some reason, I'd been very reluctant to start on the Ilona Andrews books I got
from a friend a few years ago. It was the covers -- kickass, but pouty, heroine on
the cover with an Aslan (lion). The kind of covers that are supposed to scream,
"Urban Fantasy! Conflict! Romance! Saving the World!!"

But generally, IME they really contain whiny, angsty women who do a lot of dumb
stuff and finally realize that sharing is caring . . . or actually, don't realize
anything at all, but continue to be trapped in a dystopic world, usually with two
jerks at the corners of her love triangle.

WELL, was I wrong! And the grand thing is, once I finish book three, I can get on
Amazon and order at least three more. (-: So it's a good thing I waited. The covers
deliver. I'm satisfied with the action, I like the heroine (who is smart but caught
in tough circumstances, not just "supposed to be smart, but caught in dumb
circumstances), I like the world, and I love the romance.

Anyone else want to join in the squeefest and General Jubilation? I'm talking
about Magic Bites, Magic Burns, and by the weekend, Magic Strikes. I'm not
particularly spoiler-averse -- it the series turns sour, I would like to know
before I order. But, I've got one friend who raves about the writing duo. So, got
that word-of-mouth (via internet) working for me.

Micki