[LMB] Aral and the Empire

Damien Sullivan phoenix at mindstalk.net
Fri Jan 8 21:31:37 GMT 2016

On Sun, Sep 20, 2015 at 09:29:17PM +1000, Gwynne Powell wrote:

> I've only just realised that Aral built the Barrayaran Empire.
>
> He conquered Komarr.
>
> And then he secured Sergyar before the Betans could claim it, and somehow -
> by an absolute miracle, amazing skills, and sheer determination - kept hold
> of it after the Escobaran invasion.  Those negotiations must have been the
> equal of anything Miles ever managed - it's a stunning achievement to lose
> a war when you were totally and absolutely in the wrong, and still hang on
> to some of the disputed territory.

It's worth noting he was involved in both planetary acquisitions, yes.
But as mentioned already, Barrayar had the prior claim and Sergyar
wasn't disputed as such.  And I thought the Jacksonians were in awe of
*Ezar's* Deal-making ability in not losing Sergyar as reparations or
whatever.

-xx- Damien X-)