[LMB] What I read on my winter vacation (actually Summer here)

BlueRose stacey at xtra.co.nz
Mon Jan 11 10:28:12 GMT 2016

On 11/01/2016 7:49 p.m., A. Marina Fournier wrote:

> On Jan 09, 2016, at 11:03 PM, BlueRose <stacey at xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>
> I have had an unprecedented whole MONTH of reading time granted to me
> (I had a hysterectomy on 3rd Dec) consequence of surgery recovery time.
>
> I hope the surgery definitely corrected something, and that you are
> healing quickly, well, and with no hiccups.
>
> Might I suggest C. E. Murphy's Joanne Walker series, anything by Sarah
> Addison Allen (magical realism), and Tony (and later, Anne)
> Hillerman's mysteries involving the Navajo Police force. I have
> enjoyed each series enormously: I am glad that Anne has carried on her
> father's work.

Great recommendations, thank,s I have read the Walker series (good stuff
too) and the first couple of some of the Addison Allen but not the
Hillerman, I will see if the library has those in any form. Annoyingly
they have books 10+ of the Kate Shugak series but not the first ones!!

Oh I also forgot to include Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson (The Bloggess)

Its her second book and I found it much more approachable than her first
- all the crazy funny stories were there but more succint and shorter
and she talked a great deal about her own personal trials, and her
journey about discovering what works for her and doesnt. Some of it gets
quite raw in places, she doesn't hold back and reveals a lot of stuff.

Still very quirky and funny but more personal and relatable for me than
the first one - I would recommend it for anyone suffering from
depression or other mental illnesses - but especially for friends and
family of those who do - she explains what it feels like from her POV
and why its so hard to cope, as well as her understanding of how hard
that is for those caring for her.

Her husband must be a saint, if for nothing else, being the straight guy
in all their arguments LOL

Stacey