[LMB] renaming things

Paula Lieberman paal at filker.org
Mon Jan 11 16:44:07 GMT 2016

(I removed the OT: marker, Komarr and Ijada are NOT offtopic! )

"Mystic River Bridge" includes internal context --  Mystic River denotes a
place even if I don't know what that place is, of a -river-. There is a
river, called "Mystic"  "Mystic" is a word which denotes a concept, of
mysticism/mystical feeling -- there's an evocation of senses, which is
contextual.  Why the river has the name mystic, I don't know... but there
are sensations which associate with "mystic" and that is a context tie/tag.

(Mystic River) Bridge donates a bridge which is over the Mystic River.
When talking about Boston area traffic, and major roads' condition, that
narrowed the locus down to a particular -large- bridge of US 1...

"Tobin Bridge" gives NO sense of location or sensation of relationship to
whatever the hell "Tobin" might mean--it's a random name of some dead white
male politician....

I remember which book "Komarr" is, because the title of the book refers to
the planet the books takes place in the vicinity of, and the name of the
planet appears elsewhere in the series, which provides -some- contextual
associations otherwise....

I've seen the name "Ijada" here frequently enough to associate it with is it
The Hallowed Hunt?  But were I in a conversation with someone else who was
not on the list and who was consciously or unconciously expecting me to know
the names of characters in films or books I've never read or maybe read
once.... ugh.

I get cranky about Dr Who references, because I am very definitely NOT a
Whovian....

--Paula Lieberman