[LMB] What I read on my winter vacation

Damien Sullivan phoenix at mindstalk.net
Tue Jan 12 04:50:08 GMT 2016

On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 10:17:34AM -0500, Paula Lieberman wrote:

> I prefer "Suck Fairy" because the term "Suck" has denations/context
> which "Lin Yutang" is completely lacking in for me....

You missed the point.  Lin Yutang Fairy was proposed as a *different*
fairy from Suck, not a new name for Suck.

> (Note that I have consistently lacked appreciation for
> "Doylist/Holmesian" as descriptive meaningful terms. The worst

Have you never read Holmes stories?  Doyle/Watson *are* somewhat
descriptive with only minimal knowledge of that canon: Doyle is the
author, Watson the internal narrator.

> above, there was no reason for "Hertz" to adhere as pointer to
> cycles per second, which latter is a clear and direct -description-.

Hertz is shorter to write or say than cycles per second.

> "Hertz" is an abstraction or rather, it's smeone's name, arbitrarily
> applied to replace a direct description, and requires -effort- and
> translation and MEMORY.

All words are ultimately arbitrary associations.  Like "Mystic River",
or "river".

-xx- Damien X-)