[LMB] Time Fairy, was What I read on my winter vacation

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Fri Jan 15 14:02:05 GMT 2016

> On Jan 15, 2016, at 2:09 AM, Raymond Collins <rcrcoll6 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I suggest the Mind Fairy. Because our minds develop as we age. We add new
> experiences and insights along the way and when  we reread a old favorite
> we see it in a new light. I could call it "we can never go home syndrome,"
> but I wont.
>     Sadly our tastes change and when we do read our old favorites it's
> because we want to recapture that sense of adventure.
>     I've been reading Andre Norton's Time Traders series which I hadn't
> read for a long time and now see it in a totally different view then I did
> back then. The same goes for Ann McCaffery, James Blish, even, sigh, Roger
> Zelazny.

That’s part of the paradox of immortality.    Our identity is of changing beings.    None of us are the same people we were when we were young.    We believe we are pretty much now who we are and underestimate how much we will change in the future.    We also view our societal values with these filtered glasses.

Authors of our youth wrote SF of our youth for the society of our youth.    One way to look at how we changed is to revisit the books that moved us back then.