[LMB] awards memory aid

Lois McMaster Bujold lbujold at myinfmail.com
Mon Jan 18 06:42:08 GMT 2016

[LMB] awards memory aid
Karen Hunt huntkc at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 12:12:52 GMT 2016

KH:  How serious are the Prometheus awards? I've not put them onto the wikia
because I've not been sure of that. (there's this mental image of Ms Jones'
English class award for "best book assigned this year")

LMB:  Well, they get reported in _Locus_, and they've been around for a
number of years.  And they sent me a nice plaque.   Certainly as worth
reporting as, say, the Forry Award.  That said, not a big promotional
coup that one would slather on a cover.

The slathering of "New York Times bestseller!" all over the covers of
books by authors who have earned same always bemused me a bit, because
what readers pay attention to that?  I finally figured out that this was
directed not to end readers, but to the accounts, the middlemen buyers
from bookstores, chains, and distributors who are the publishers' actual
immediate customers.  (And who don't, and usually wouldn't have time to,
read the books they're buying.)

Ta, L.