[LMB] OT: not spoilery any more, middle school

Helen Fenton hifenton at internode.on.net
Wed Jan 20 13:19:23 GMT 2016

On 20 Jan 2016, at 11:47 PM, Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com> wrote:

>> From: "M. Haller Yamada" thefabmadamem at yahoo.com
>
>> I think it's pretty fascinating, that's why I jumped in.
>> With the lower grades in Japan, you start first grade the year you turn six
>> (between April 2 and April 1, I heard).
>> I do like the idea of keeping the puberty-stricken slightly isolated from the
>> general population. I think they should get more teachers, too. Possibly a
>> counsellor for every class . . . . In Japan, middle school is such a pivotal
>> time. You choose the high school you are aiming at, and that pretty much
>> determines your entire future unless you are willing to buck the system and run
>> away to Canada to work in a Japanese restaurant . . . . And to have to do that
>> with only 14 or 15 years of life experience and raging hormones . . . oof.
>> Obviously, it can be done. But . . . .
>
> I like the Spartan system - send them off into the wilderness for a few years.
> Let them learn to survive on their own.
>
> That'd sort out all those helicopter parents!
>
> Gwynne
>
> --
> Speaking as the ex mistress in charge of a girls boarding school with girls ranging in age from 6 years to 18 years I am firmly convinced that girls between the ages of 12 yrs and 18 yrs should be kept in a soundproof box and fed through a hole in the wall.

The whining and the whinging and griping and bitching is quite unbelievable . Surprisinly I still have visits from the girls and they bring their latest offspring to visit. We are now up to visiting grandchildren . I left the boarding school position when I married in 1980. One of the boarders was a bridesmaid and the two littlest boarders were my flower girls. The entire boarding school attended the wedding and one of the boarders caught my bouquet .