[LMB] Penric's Demon pre-discussion

M. Haller Yamada thefabmadamem at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 21 00:00:13 GMT 2016

My sympathies for that, Gwynne. I know that when I do a search on my PC, only
Penric-related documents come up, not the Kindle book itself. My library is only
about 30 or 40 books. I don't know what I'll do if it gets over 100 and becomes
unwieldy to browse through the cover thumbnails. I can stuff them in categories,
but that will only help until I get about 1000 ebooks. After that, the categories
will get unwieldy too.

Another thought came to me this morning. In a way, ebooks belong to me in a way
paper books never will. When I have a paper book, I always feel like I'm curating
it. A friend may be reading it next month, or 50 years from now, a stranger may
be annoyed by my random underlines and chicken-scratching in the margins. Ebooks
are mine to mark up.

On the other hand, how many of my ebooks will survive this computer? How easy will
I find it to transfer everything over? How worthwhile will I find it? Penric will
come over one way or the other. But there are quite a few books that I won't want
to waste shiny new computer space on.

This is a plus -- it's easier to discard ebooks because I'm not curating them.

Micki