[LMB] PEN Penic's Demon Section One Discussion

M. Haller Yamada thefabmadamem at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 21 01:39:09 GMT 2016

Section One Notes:

The first paragraph solidly sets us in

time. It’s spring, we have a young man on his way to his betrothal, and we

learn quite a lot about his family dynamics in just a few lines. He’s got some

interesting reflections on life from the male side of a marriage of

convenience. I like him because he thinks it’s HIS responsibility to make his

bride feel she got a decent bargain for her money. He’s not out for his own

gain, but rather the gain of his family, and he doesn’t want to disappoint his

bride, either.

So my first question is, what do you think

of Penric’s thoughts on marriage? (Please note if you read in the romance genre

or not – I think it’d be very interesting to compare reactions.) Is he

practical? Or does he just think he’s practical? Have you ever seen a man

worrying about disappointing a bride in literature before?

His journey is delayed when they come upon

an old woman, collapsed on the road. Her attendants seem useless. Fate has a

heavy hand on the reins here; the Learned Ruchia was persuaded to travel

against her better judgement and is returning late; we learn that Penric is

late, as well. I’m reminded of vampires somehow when Penric says, “Let me serve

you in your need, Learned.” They can’t enter unless you invite them in . . . .
“Accepted.”

Their fates are sealed.

But who accepted? Ruchia, or her demon? At

any rate, with a babble of women’s voices rushing into his head with Ruchia’s

death, he passes out, overwhelmed.

I think it’s very interesting that Penric’s

worries, on the surface at least, don’t have much to do with the real story.

But, the subtext of those worries have everything to do with the real story. We

often spend a lot of life worrying about situations that don’t happen – it’s

interesting to think that our thought processes aren’t wasted, but applied to

different situations that do happen. LOL, or does that only take place in

fiction?

Micki