[LMB] SP SP: Where did I miss it

Jelbelser jelbelser at comcast.net
Fri Jan 22 02:32:02 GMT 2016

On Jan 21, 2016, at 12:39 PM, beatrice_otter wrote:

> On Jan 21, 2016 11:08 AM, Paula Lieberman <paal at filker.org> wrote:

> Bob wrote:
>
> Talk about a gut punch this morning reading the opening chapters....
>
> Beatrice Otter wrote:
> Also, you talked about Aral and Oliver's relationship as "bad stuff" and a "gut punch" and an "unpleasant surprise."  Sexuality and relationship issues are very personal and can be touchy.  You're entitled to your feelings and beliefs, but please do remember we've got a wide variety of people on the list, from conservative Christians to at least one person that I know is currently in a polyamorous relationship.  We've got every variety of sexuality there is.  In order for the list to work, there has to be some sensitivity to issues like these, and it's really easy for people to take your  reaction to the fictional characters and their relationships and realize that you probably think the same about their real-life relationships.  Which then makes civil discourse about the books harder.  I don't want to shut you up or make you feel you can't talk about that aspect of the story and how you feel about it, but please do remember there are a lot of different viewpoints here and take that into account.
>
> Beatrice Otter

Since you have, I assume, avoided reading the earlier spoilers, you aren't aware that there was an intense discussion about this. I and many others were upset or shocked about the relationship between Aral and Jole, NOT because we have any issues with a homosexual relationship, but because we thought of Aral as "monogamous". Lois stepped in, and cleared the air. She added a few sentences to the text to make it clear that from the beginning the relationship between Aral and Jole had Cordelia's blessing.

Janet in TN