[LMB] Penric -- invitation to fanfic?

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Sat Jan 23 00:01:00 GMT 2016

On 01/22/2016 04:35 PM, M. Haller Yamada wrote:
> (-: I don't think book discussion should preclude other discussions. Especially
> since this is a very general discussion, not section-specific.

Well OK. :-)

One thing I noticed on this read-through, and which I think will show up
in Section 2 of the official read through, is that Desdemona does not
want to do math. She *does* when Penric forces it, but there is mention
of a cost.

Do we all think that's because math is order (except for chaos math,
heh) and demons are forces of chaos?

Perhaps forcing demons to count is like putting burned letters back
together.

> If you would like to sign up to take a section that you think really makes you want
> to fic-out, everything after section six is still free (hint-hint, hopeful).

The ending is where the urge comes to continue the story.

Although now that you've made me think about it there are some other
interesting points that would make good spin-offs. Pereita for example.
What does she think? She seems to have been OK with the betrothal and
seemed happy enough with Penric before. He is apparently an aristocrat,
good looking, strong in a wiry way and kind. A pretty good catch for a
rich cheese merchant's daughter. She apparently liked him well enough
that she wanted to give him a going away present of a cheese wheel.

What is her reaction? A demon is unsettling it seems. But is she
relieved she is getting out of it? What is she getting in place of
Penric? Some older, ugly widowed lord with seven children to care for,
few teeth and a bad reputation?

Heh! Maybe she shows up at Penric's university later, running away! That
would be an interesting twist.