[LMB] Penric: Money, trade, & cheese

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Sat Jan 23 03:03:35 GMT 2016

I enjoyed seeing a town making its living on cheese.   I question the many medieval (and later) types of fantasies (and historical books) that have easier access to money than I read about in history.

Admittedly, Penric is from a small town, where wealth of a cheese producer can dominate - but his gift of cheese was well appreciated as a cash substitute.    I tend to wonder how economies work (looking at how obviously the Lord of the Rings movies show a city with no farmland around it, and wondering how Sauron’s economy works).