[LMB] Penric: Money, trade, & cheese

Tony Zbaraschuk tonyz at eskimo.com
Sat Jan 23 04:10:42 GMT 2016

On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 08:22:45PM -0700, Pat Mathews wrote:
> Doesn't Sauron have some "Dark, Satanic mills" in his territory?
> I know for a fact that Saruman does! And the orcs probably live by
> ravaging the countryside, as the mercenary armies in the 30-years-War did.

Tolkien makes a few brief references to the "slaves of Mordor" and
the slave-worked fields around Lake Nurnen in the south of Mordor.
We don't really see "dark Satanic mills" but their existence is
implied by all the orcs' weapons, and things like Grond, the
giant iron battering ram that breaches the gate of Minas Tirith.
("Long had it been forging in the dark smithies of Mordor.")
We _see_ the mills that Saruman puts up, and we're told that
his rebuilt Isengard (with all the wheels and forges and
deforestation) is only a cheap copy of Barad-dur, so draw
your own conclusions there.

ObBujold: I wonder what the Five Gods would look like in an
industrial setting...

Tony Z

--
The most important thing in the kitchen is the waste paper basket
and it needs to be centrally located.  -- Donald Knuth