[LMB] PEN Penic's Demon Section One Discussion

Margaret Dean margdean56 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 16:06:32 GMT 2016

On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 8:56 AM, Aruvqan <aruvqan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/24/2016 10:10 AM, Gwynne Powell wrote:
>

>> Penric is Cinderella.
>>

>> Many fairy tales have the youngest kid as the put upon, ignored or
> misunderstood in turns member of the family. That is sort of the best kick
> off to the story - the reason they have to leave the nest and get into the
> balance of the story. Going off to war, seeking a wife, questing for a
> magical or stolen item. Whatever it takes to get them pried out of the
> house.

I'm also sure it's no accident that Penric is the third son.  And tumbles
into his adventure through stopping to help someone on the road.

Also makes me think of the mantra for aristocratic sons:  one for the land
(the eldest, usually), one for the Army, one for the Church.  Well, for the
gods.  Well...

--Margaret Dean
  <margdean56 at gmail.com>