[LMB] OT: physique, was PEN Penic's Demon Section One Discussion

Lois McMaster Bujold lbujold at myinfmail.com
Sun Jan 24 17:56:50 GMT 2016

[LMB] PEN Penic's Demon Section One Discussion
Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 24 15:20:53 GMT 2016

 > From: Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net

 > > On Jan 21, 2016, at 4:47 PM, Lois McMaster Bujold <lbujold at
myinfmail.com> wrote:
 > > (It sometimes seems to me that the sort of heavy, muscular good
looks that men _think_ women admire, are actually the looks that men
admire/aspire to.  Projecting?  Women had to go draw bishonen for
themselves.)

http://foxhoundstudio.com/blog/fitness-lifestyle/the-ideal-male-physique-%E2%80%94-what-girls-want-want-guys-want-to-be/

It's not easy to see all those choices that make such huge
assumptions about what women like. Some women, myself
most definitely included, want something that's not in those
pictures.

My eyes light up for something totally different, which doesn't
show up on that display of what is meant to be normal. I,
apparently, fall outside that.

I walk to the beat of a different drummer. And I'm sadly
accustomed to my desires being ignored by the mainstream.

*sigh*

Yes, that's right.

I like them hairy.

I love a man with a pelt. Real men are furry.

Gwynne (We each have our own particular joy.)

LMB:  My thoughts, too, when I read that. (And the comments section.)
The lineup they offered was like seven nearly identical Ken dolls and
one creepy mutant.  Torsos, with all the same body parts left out that
we see left out of male attention ever since the Venus of Willendorf.

Where were the bears?  Where were the bishonen?  The geeks, the nerds,
the doctors and dentists and scientists, the distinguished older
gentlemen?  Where were the hands, the voices -- thinking of Alan
Rickman's here -- where was the _variety_?  In real life, there is
someone for nearly everyone, and an everyone for nearly every someone.

This article was apparently put together by some fitness guys,
interested in selling their services, hence their very narrow focus.
Also the torsos.  An infomercial of sorts.  But really even with that,
the very questions they asked totally missed what (most) women are
interested in.  But, I suspect, really picked up what (most) men are
interested in.

The comments section was... fascinatingly defensive.  A few women chimed
in with comments; a few men (and the inevitable troll) argued with them
that no, they couldn't like or admire what they said they did, there had
to be some other explanation that would make it all come out that the
gym guys' world-view was the one true one.

It also gave a glimpse into gym and body-building culture -- which made
me glad I go to the Y on weekdays with all the other tottering retirees,
instead -- but also gave a worked demo of exactly the same jockeying for
biosocial status seen in any other group, always fascinating.

Ta, L.