[LMB] Birthday Tixie

Aruvqan aruvqan at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 12:01:50 GMT 2016

Sounds like a reasonable shared day.

and interspersed responses =)

On 1/26/2016 4:24 AM, A. Marina Fournier wrote:
> This year, a non-significant number for each of us, facing having
> pretty much the same guest list, we decided to do a single, joint
> celebration, on a day more convenient for our guests

Our family, being spread out over the US tended to have a single family
birthday party in the summer at my grandparents summer house. We found
it easier than worrying about getting presents shipped off or trying to
go visit.

> Edna, my belle-mère, can't have chocolate (migraine trigger), nuts, or
> seeds (digestive irritant), nor alcohol, anything carbonated, or
> caffeine, due to GI irritation. I'd love gianduia desserts, but nuts &
> chocolate, nope. Poppyseed cake I adore, but seeds. There are a few
> other things, not tied to celebration foods, that she doesn't
> enjoy--or don't enjoy her--any more, and it's annoying to all of us:
> her, for obvious reasons, and us, for food planning issues. We wish
> she didn't have these issues, because we'd like to see her enjoying
> meals.

I adore real gianduia - cocoa, hazlenut and sugar pounded together into
paste  [think nutella without the craptastic palm oil that I am allergic
to] that is solid is amazing. I have a friend who makes it by hand and
then does the truffle roll in more dark cocoa. I have always loved an
Italian style lemon cream cake, or a Cuban tres leches. The lemon cream
cake when properly made is very light and summery, and not a heavy
dessert at all. You might consider instead of a single cake to do the
'cupcake' thing, with different flavors and ingredients to suit
everybody. I don't know why people insist on a single cake when you can
find bakeries [or do your own baking] and make everybody happy =)

Multiple food issues is never fun to work around. I have always been
fond of tapas or hors d'oeuvre parties because you can [or at least I
always preferred to] make lots of different little things, so people
could pick and choose what they liked or were able to eat. One of our
favorite lazy Sunday things is the muffin cup meals - you use  muffin
tins to make little cups of flour or corn tortillas, wonton wrappers to
hold stuff like pizza [tomato sauce, cheese, pepperoni frex] egg roll
[stir fried bean sprouts, bamboo shoots, shredded cabbage, shredded
carrot, garlic, minced onion and baby shrimp] pulled pork BBQ, taco or
really anything that can be portioned out into a little cup. Also can
bake mini quiche, frittata, coddled eggs florentine ... and then you sit
around eating =)

>  I don't cook daily dinners, because how I ate before hooking up with
> my dh, is nothing like what his mother cooks--not so much of the cream
> sauces, sauces based on commercial mayonnaise, more
> grilling/baking/broiling than they prefer. I love broiled chicken:
> they prefer it in a creamy sauce or fried. I really don't enjoy fried
> foods much, and in the last six months or so, if given my druthers,
> it's fish & seafood, with lamb (and never enough duck!), other red
> meats, and turkey coming in dead last. I like bacon as a seasoning,
> but only manage 2 strips, if that, at any meal. An onion ring once a
> year is my speed, and good bread over potatoes most days.

Thanks to my meds I am having issues eating - some days I am fine, and
some days I end up with toast and apple sauce. I am supposed to do 1800
cal a day and many days I might get 800 cal to stay down. I have always
preferred cooking so you can sauce separately - baked or broiled or even
poached meats don't need to be cooked in sauce most of the time [and
while I like some fried foods, I think the whole health kick has brought
forth a generation of cooks who don't know how to deep fry breaded or
battered foods any longer.]

We poach up a whole chicken and I shred the meat left after pulling off
a nice pair of breast fillets and debone the thighs so we get 3 dinner
servings, and some miscellaneous chicken and then a really lovely liquid
left from poaching the bird that I tend to use to cook into a soup, or
make a polenta, or risotto with. You could use it to make a lovely
reduced sauce instead.

And I agree, there is never enough duck, goose or lamb to make us happy.
I just wish those strange and weird meats were less expensive [hell, I
make chicken based hasenpfeffer because rabbit is close to $10 a pound
and I can get chicken at $1 a pound ... I have some chicken in pickling
as we speak, along with a pork butt and a slab of beef for sauerbraten.
There is a medieval recipe called 'Lords Salt' that is a seasoned
pickling brine - you make a barrel of it and toss whatever meat you want
to preserve and then fish out hunks when you want to cook them.]

> Two notes:
> If you are buying frozen broccoli, unless you like the stalks that
> much, get the bag that says "florets", not "cuts", 'spears", or
> "chopped". You'll be getting more "tree" and less of the "leaves" of
> that broccoli forest. I can depend on Trader Joe's to give me more of
> the floret part, whether frozen or ready to steam--I've given up on
> national & most store brands.
But I like the stalks. My favorite way to eat broccoli is with lemon
juice, salt and butter or olive oil, sort of hollandaise without the egg
=) Well, I eat cabbage, spinach and cauliflower that way too. I have
trouble understanding that there are people that don't like vegetables.
I hate my notional nausea, but in general I can do veggies when they are
reasonably plain. Though I have never like heavy cheese sauces. We can
make a deal, I will trade you my florettes for your stalks next time we
eat together =)

> "Remove from sauce":  I was once trying to teach a guy how to make
> beef stroganoff. We had browned the beef and mushrooms and it was a
> smelling yummy. He read, in the mid-70's edition of Joy of Cooking:
> remove from sauce. He started pouring the sauce down the sink....I
> don't think he really paid much attention to food that he ate.
Ug - ill written directions for a beginner. You really need to walk non
cooks through stuff differently. The recipe should have been phrased
more like 'remove <cooked solids> to a plate and with the liquid in the
saute pan <do whatever next step is>

Most people don't stop and read through the recipe completely, I was
trained to read the recipe, get the ingredients prepped, the cooking
instruments gathered and then to start so there isn't a mad scramble to
find the left handed whisk or the unicorn eggs.

And don't get a whole bunch of us complaining that Home Economics is now
teaching the defrost and nuke style cooking. I don't mind the whole how
to read a food label, that is actually useful but kids should know how
to shop for raw ingredients and actually plan and make a meal from scratch.

---