[LMB] Paladin of Souls - how intentional are the parallels between Ista and Christ?

Elizabeth Stowe estowe427 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 13:19:05 BST 2016

Matt George: > I'm curious as to how readers approached this content when reading the book
> for the first time. Not to mention how intentional this parallelism is.

Tony Z: I don't think I saw a lot of these the first time through,<snip>  I'm also interested in the question of how intentional they were -- I think some might have sneaked through from general adoption of the background, but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot more was going on than I was wondering about.

es: Having just reread The Barbarian Conversion by Fletcher -- a book I'm pretty sure LMB used for research -- I recognized many parallels between the Five Gods and Christianity. (And perhaps Fafa was inspired by a real polar bear sent from Greenland to Norway.) I think LMB freeforms history, though, by making Chalion more of a 12th century world than a 15th century one (when Ferdinand and Isabella lived). Personally, I prefer her fantasy to the history.