[LMB] [stirling] Oh, for pity's sake, Ursula!

Alex Kwan litalex at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 08:55:43 BST 2016

Hello,

I don’t get why SF/F Masters/Mistresses don’t like being called a Sci-fi writer either. It’s why I love them. And I like both The Left Hand of Darkness and The Dispossessed.

> On 10 Oct 2016, at 11:47, WILLIAM A WENRICH <wawenri at msn.com> wrote:
> There seems to be a trend to totally dismiss any question of morality by
> saying "that is their culture, all cultures are equal, therefore you mustn't
> criticize. I side with the British in suppressing suttee. Of course it you
> Google "Suttee" you will find that suppression labeled "Cultural
> Imperialism."

I view all “traditions” that cause people physical harm with the side-eye. But if the widow is truly that in love with her late husband and doesn’t want to live without him…

But where do you draw the line? Most people will agree on physical harm, but what about mental or emotional harm? Or what if they were indeed volunteering for those practices? Do we chalk it up to the “victims” being brainwashed?

A lot of people in the West are uncomfortable with Muslim women wearing a niqab and/or a burqa, and some country have even ban them, but I don’t see anyone banning FLDS women’s style of dress, and that seems pretty “brainwashed” to me…

little Alex