[LMB] Are we still reading Gentleman Jole and the the Red Queen?!

Matthew George matt.msg at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 23:34:49 BST 2016

Given the sort of transportation that seems to be endemic in the
Vorkosiverse, I don't think that proximity to any kind of resource is
actually that much of an issue.  There's no real absolute need to have
refineries close to sources of ore, for example, if for some reason the
effects of the refineries on the local environment are considered
undesirable enough, or the locale is dangerous enough.

We're told that trains never developed on Barrayar (despite their immense
efficiency in the RW) because antigrav made it redundant.  So shipping
people and material is cheaper with antigrav tech than it is with trains.
If people need to go across a planet, they can do so quite easily.  But
they wouldn't need to go for most things, because communication is so
simple.

So whether the local conditions are desirable is ultimately the primary
consideration as Chaos Colony develops.  And there's nothing desirable
about Kburg's locale.  It doesn't get much rain, it's not near any
important resource that we're ever told about (beyond ViceImp), and its
tectonic features are unstable.

The more I think about it, the more I think all the people who invested in
Kburg instead of locations elsewhere with development potential really ARE
fools.  Ignoring the volcano and earthquakes is short-term thinking, sure,
but deeply investing in the area is a more subtle and more profound sort of
the same error.  There isn't any real growth potential.

Things like the Lake Placid vacation cottage rental are (relatively)
short-term investments meant to produce short-term returns: it's not meant
to do more than support a semi-retired couple for their lifetimes.  And if
things get genuinely bad, no one's going to mind abandoning the place.  The
summerhome (?) being built across the lake is similar.  It's a luxury that,
if lost, wouldn't render the owner homeless.  Kareenburg ought to be
something similar, a temporary resource that is useful within the next
lifetime or two but can be abandoned without regrets when needed.

I wonder if those Kburgians would be interested in the bridge investment
opportunities I have available...

Matt "great view of Brooklyn" G.