[LMB] My First Bujold (Was Plus-Size Novella Run-Off)

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sat Oct 29 15:10:13 BST 2016

On Sat, Oct 29, 2016 at 07:45:22AM -0400, Karen Hunt wrote:
> While I really couldn't say how I started. I remember discovering the
> stories in the 80s when I was a graduate student, so maybe then, but...
>
> For both Falling Free and Barrayar, I distinctly remember being sure I'd
> read some or all of the story before. It wasn't until years later that I
> learned they'd been serialized in Analog, which explained everything...

for me, I had become turned off by all the non-SF being passed off as SF
especially during the 80s and 90s (magic swords, etc., etc.) that I didn't
follow  up on most new SF. My wife had a membership in the SF book club,
so I remember seeing mention of Lois McMaster Bujold there, but didn't
investigate for the aforementioned reasons. (definitely a loss for me,
in retrospect)

then later on, after the Baen Free Library came into being I saw
Mountains of Mourning on the free library and on a whim read it. Wow!
I thought it was a really NICE little story, and had to go find more.
Turns out that most of the then-extant books existed in the pile of SF
I had inherited when my brother passed, so I had a long reading binge.
then when I finished, I couldn't bear the thought of going back to other,
ordinary, writers, so I read 'emm all again.

               Show me your ways, O LORD, teach me your paths;
                     Guide me in your truth and teach me,
                         for you are God my Savior,
                    And my hope is in you all day long.