[LMB] GJ&RQ - Ch 13 and the world turns over - CORRECTION

Baur baur at chello.at
Mon Oct 31 17:30:55 GMT 2016

re architecture:

do we have a finnish member on this list?

one of the things i noticed when visiting there (anyone going to
worldcon next year can check for themselves) is that houses of a certain
period have an awful lot of "architectural quotes" from fortress
architecture (things like large, very massive gates, towers, portcullis,
massive looking walls in the ground floor, with only few small windows,
crenelations - things that are useless on a multi story apartment house
in a city, just quoting the impression of fortress)

one could almost get the impression that people were afraid of something

an they were - all these houses were built in the period of the 1930-ies
leading up the winter war ..

servus

markus

Am 31.10.2016 um 18:10 schrieb Eric Oppen:
> The thing is, architecture goes through styles just as other things do.
> Can you imagine an older Miles reacting to a wave of interest in
> "neo-Vorrutyer" buildings?
>
> On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 6:49 AM, James M. BRYANT G4CLF <james at jbryant.eu>
> wrote:
>
>> Gwynne observes:-
>>
>>> Ohhh and a quick thought - if Aral had architectural leanings - did he
>>> inherit them from Dono Vorrutyer, distant relative and world's worst
>>> (or most paranoid) architect?
>>
>> That's not "the World's worst", Gwynne, he's the Nexus's worst - ever.
>>
>> Architecture students from all over the Nexus come to Barrayar for the
>> "awful warning" section of their courses. It's a major part of the
>> Barrayaran tourist economy.
>>
>> James - trying, but failing, to make an Incendiary 'At out of it
>>
>> --

Email from my mobile connection.