[LMB] Just wondering about Tien's bribes

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 1 11:13:33 BST 2017

From: Walter Bushell <proto at panix.com>

> On May 30, 2017, at 11:14 PM, Tony Zbaraschuk <tonyz at eskimo.com> wrote:
> I... tend to agree.  While a decent amount of research would have
> uncovered this, Ekaterin was very little involved with the Barrayaran
> (much less Komarran) social scene, and I would guess that Tien had gotten
> her out of the habit of talking about her famous relatives, if she was
> ever in that habit.

Walter:
Bad research was one of the conspirators? pattern. They also were wrong about the
results of their invention even after the soletta?s destruction. They should has guessed
something was up. On the other hand by that time they had crossed the Rubicon. On
the Gripping Hand they could have turned themselves in and only faced embezzlement
charges, maybe. Well there was the destruction of the soletta and the investigation of the
possibility of wormhole collapse.

Gwynne:
A little research would have shown them what happened when the first Barrayaran
wormhole collapsed. It would have been smarter to put the collapser on a ship and
take it through the wormhole, then set it off on one of the median wormholes. They'd
have to get a pilot onside, then set off the wormhole from as far away as possible, and
scoot back to Komarr (if possible). Collapsing the wormhole on top of Komarr could have
had some supremely awful side effects for Komarr.
Really, when you look at them, the conspirators were high on ideals but rather low on
long-range planning.

And.... wouldn't you love to know what would have happened if it all worked as they hoped?