[LMB] has drifted OT: and approaching day 3, but

pouncer at aol.com pouncer at aol.com
Thu Jun 1 14:03:27 BST 2017

Literature or close approximations thereof

Catherine Muir notes that

>Buchan wrote a lot more that's worth a look, though
>many of his attitudes were of his time.

My attitude is that Buchan's attitude deserves
a more thorough appraisal.  Perhaps beginning with
the McGuffins assumed in _Greenmantle_.  A
 storyteller about types of people in exotic settings
and cultures that seem to barely exist now. So, we
perforce compare our impression of what those
cultures might have been and ought to have
been with what these storytelling contemporaries
actually saw, or studied, or expected their
audience to recognize, directly in their moment.