[LMB] OT: definitions

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Wed May 10 17:53:17 BST 2017

> On May 10, 2017, at 10:40 AM, WILLIAM A WENRICH <wawenri at msn.com> wrote:
>
> I recently encountered a sign with the phrase "Love is Love". I think the intent of the line is political but the direct meaning is false. One of the deficiencies of English is that it uses one word to describe many emotions. In Greek, there is (please forgive me and correct me if I get this wrong) eros, philo, storge, and adraste to describe different kinds of love for which there is one word in English.

L.E. Modesitt Jr. has a fantasy series with a religion which eschews naming the deity they worship on the basis that naming something implies understanding something, which is a lie.

Interesting concept.

Labels lie.   Not just political labels, but even in science.    They can be very useful, as long as we remember this.