[LMB] New Penric [SP]

M. Haller Yamada thefabmadamem at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 1 02:12:26 GMT 2017

________________________________
 ]

RAchel: When Ikos found Penric in his mother's bed (hmm, not quite how that

sounds), did anyone else flash back to that discussion in Curse of Chalion

about the gods sending multiple people down the pathway and only Cazaril

making it? Here more than one person arrived. It made me wonder just why

Idrene might be so beloved by the Bastard that he would send so much help.

(Presumably the Bastard? Since Pen and Ikos both belong to him... Or

somehow round-about by the Daughter who is so close here..)

Micki: What a great connection! It was about that point that I started thinking about how
when you are writing a universe that has gods in it, it might be a good idea to have your
gods DOING something. The hand of the Bastard is very strong, here, and recasts the entire
series, really, in my mind. I know we've talked about how the coincidences in Curse of
Chalion work.

Micki: It's so fun to think of all these eager-beaver humans who are ready to accept their
gifts from their gods. Ikos showing up made it ever-so-much easier for Pen, although very-
much-harder for Desdemona. We see that Pen has great control.

Micki: Bastard forgive me, but the seagull jokes were so surprising, they made me laugh.
First the exploding seagull, and then Ikos commenting about how he didn't care what kind of
crap they ate, seagulls just didn't do that naturally.

Micki: If this story had had to meet a predetermined length, I don't think this could have
worked; or maybe it could have, but our heroes would have had to meet pirates or something on
the high seas. I was tensed and waiting for something to happen at sea, and oddly relieved
when I was delivered to my happy ending with relatively little fuss.

Micki: I'm sure an extended alternate-universe version of the story would have been just as
fantastic . . . but it would have taken longer. I'm glad to have the story NOW!

Lois-Bujold at lists.herald.co.uk