[LMB] Cover Picture "The Prisoner of Limnos"

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Fri Nov 3 04:55:45 GMT 2017

On Nov 2, 2017, at 7:46 AM, James M. BRYANT G4CLF <james at jbryant.eu> wrote:

> Does the World of the Five Gods have a double star?
>
> In the sky behind the Island of Limnos is a full
> disk - a sun/star or a full moon. But the light on
> the building comes from the right. If the disk is
> a sun/star that's fine, but if it's a moon it should
> be waning gibbous/third quarter/waning crescent
> depending on the exact sun position, NOT full.
> (Remember we're in the Southern Hemisphere here, if Limnos were in Eurasia or N America on Earth it should be waxing crescent/third quarter/waxing gibbous.)

I see your point.

> James - who worries that the moon phase in pictures be correct. (An article I once wrote about optical v magnetic coupling made a passing reference to Paul Revere and one of the illustrations had a picture of him in the background, riding in the light of a waning crescent moon. In the Northern Hemisphere on
> the 18th April 1775 the Moon was waning Gibbous - and I made them alter the picture.)

WHERE  do you get your ephemera??? I’m astounded.

I screw up astrologers a lot because, in Japan, where I was born, it was 24th January already. In California, it was 17 hrs earlier.

As for corrections—you all do know Weird Al Yankovich corrects street sign grammar, right?—I received the latest Cirque de Soleil e-newsletter yesterday. They were announcing some band’s video shot at their permanent installation of O, in Las Vegas NV (aka LVNV). It’s an elaborate water stage, with a central area that can be raised and lowered***.

The newsletter said it was a subVersive stage, not a subMersive stage, which it should have been. I sent a note asking whether there was an error, and if not, just how could that stage be subversive—enquiring minds and info junkies WANT to know!

I hope someone got a laugh.

A. Marina Fournier
Saffronrose at me.com